Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Summer Wine Groove #4

Song: "Be Mine," Alabama Shakes
Wine: Crush 2009, The Dreaming Tree

I'm going to get wild and crazy all up in this place and drink some red wine in the summer, bitches. And I'm gonna listen to some Alabama Shakes on the damn porch.

I don't know why this screenshot is blurry. The whole point of a screenshot is to not be affected by regular photo issues like blur. Sigh. Only in my life.

I bought this wine because I liked the name, and I wanted a summer cab. And, no, traditionalist snobs, that's not an oxymoron. This ain't your grandma's Wine Groove.

Don't you love how I'm obsessed with drinking wine at the appropriate temperature, decanting, and so on, but I toss that shit out when it doesn't serve me? Heh. That is called Power, mother-fuckers. Take it, and it's yours.

Crush is a blend, but it's mostly cab, and it starts smooth and bold, but ends up airy. What I mean by that is it's a backwards wine--its earthiness is in front, right when you sip it, and about 60 seconds later, you'll notice the back is sweeter, but light and swift--not lingering. I kept thinking I'd just eaten a banana because it had a. . .well, banana flavor, but none of that cloying stickiness a real banana has. I know that sounds both disgusting and nuts, but it's not. It's delicious and true. And the whole backwardness of the time the tastes hit is so unique I was floored. It never occurred to me that a wine could be bold, then light, and I feel a bit brainwashed by The International Meaningless Wine Rules for never having thought of it. I'm glad Crush did.

I'm late to the party on the song because I'm not cool enough to watch SNL. Everybody and their mother already thinks Brittany Howard is a Rock Star Superhero. I'm no different. Just in case you somehow missed it, she's a combination of Janis Joplin and Mick Jagger, only with more sex appeal. (I know, right?)  She does this crazy hot mouth thing when she performs, and she sounds so good I do not know what to do. So basically for the past two weeks I've been wandering through my life playing Alabama Shakes on repeat and hoping Brittany would call. And, yes, I realize I don't know her and am married with child, plus a few house-guests, and she seems straight and famous and busy and probably too young or too old for me. (Honestly, it's hard to tell which!) But! Details. She needs to call me. The song I like is "Be Mine," but there isn't a bad song on the album. Everybody has known this for a year but me. Oh, well. This isn't a "you heard it here first" kind of blog.

I may be slow, but I have tickets! To! See! Brittany! Howard! (oh, and the rest of the band, too.) I understand you may have to look away from the screen while you deal with your envy, and I shan't hold it against you. I paid double (because late to the party), but they were pretty cheap to start. 

The wine app I'm plugging in the screenshot is called Vivino, and if you take a pic of the label it finds the wine. It's pretty awesome, but it seems a bit off with the whole nearby wines function. I don't think the Shell station has 78 wines or that Starbucks has 98. Still, for the price (nothing), you can't beat Vivino, and it told me during our first encounter that it would never post to my FB wall, even if I logged in there. Sweet talker. Other apps need to get on board there, don't you think? "I won't post to your wall" is what every grrl wants to hear. Except of course, when she wants you to. Then, by all means, post.

2 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, this post just made me Google Brittany Howard, so you aren't the absolute last to the party.

    ReplyDelete