Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sleep Over

Ari attended his first sleep over the other day, and I MISSED HIM SO MUCH!!!!! I don't normally see him in the night. We're sleeping! And I've spent many nights away from him since he was born, of course, but this was different somehow. He got home the next morning, and I couldn't stop kissing him. Meanwhile, he was happy to see me, too. He began to tell me all about his experiences, and I had trouble keeping up. Maybe you people can translate? Here is some approximation of what he said:

"Mommy, we watched the Star Wars movie, but just the part with the tie fighters. R2D2 and Darth Vader were in it together. Their tie fighter was the strongest!" (Darth Vader and R2D2 in the same ship made no sense to me, but I am no Star Wars expert.) "The tie fighters look like this." (Pause for demonstration.) "They fly like this!" (Demonstration #2) "And we ate pa-corn, but then we didn't eat it all. There were pancakes this morning for breakfast, and the grey one likes you to touch her, but the black one will claw you if you bother her." (Apparently we've moved on to cats?) "Ryan was sleeping, and I didn't spill too many on the floor." (Popcorn?) "I watched because I was in his room. I didn't sleep any at all!" (This is some kind of accomplishment, I guess.) "I wanted to go in the sprinkler again but it was too dark, so in the morning we were gonna go, but then the movie was scary, and I stayed awake all night and thought about tie fighters, and it was raining, so we couldn't. I wanted to go in the sprinkler. Darth Vader and R2D2's tie fighter was the best one. I wanted to go in the sprinkler, but I didn't wanna go alone in the dark. It was black!" (Black tie fighter? Do they have those? Black sprinkler? Black night? Black as metaphor? What is black here, little dude?) "I remembered to bring black puppy home, but I didn't like the pancakes." (Wait--what? I hope he wasn't rude about it!) "May I please have a g-anola bar? And, oh, mommy, I missed you so much!" (Pause for five year old body hurtling at me, arms outstretched, trusting me to provide a soft landing.)

Yes, child, you may have a granola bar. You may have everything I have to give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment